Research Assistant for the area of microbial electrochemical technologies (Regenera Project)
IMDEA Water is a non-profit research Institute, promoted by the Regional Government of Madrid, to carry out research in water technologies. This Institute is part of the IMDEA network, the institutional framework that combines support from both the public and private sectors and harmonizes research with market demand, strengthening the presence of the private sector in science.
It complies with the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
A Research Assistant position is offered for the area of microbial electrochemical technologies, a discipline that investigates the exchange of electrons between microorganisms and electrically conductive materials, within the framework of the project "Investigation of hybrid storage technologies and predictive models to transform Industries in delocalized renewable energy management points (REGENERA)”.
The contracted person will be involved in Bioe group of IMDEA Water, carrying out research tasks related to the wastewater treatment project and simultaneous production of green hydrogen. These tasks include:
- Preparation of solutions.
- Analysis related to wastewater: COD, conductivity, pH, alkalinity.
- Experiments using laboratory scale systems: microbial electrochemical cells.
- Results analysis and report preparation.
- Ion exchange membranes electrochemical characterization.
- Analysis of the energy efficiency of cathodes for the production of hydrogen.
- Study of different anodic materials for the oxidation of organic matter in microbial electrochemical cells.
- Assistance to technical meetings of the project (including presentations).
- Support for other research and communication/dissemination tasks.
Degree as Bachelor of Environmental Sciences, Biology or Chemistry, or Environmental or Chemical Engineer, or: Degree in Environmental Sciences with a Master's Degree, Degree in Chemistry with a Master's Degree, Degree in Environmental Engineering with a Master's Degree, in Chemical Engineering with Master, or Degree in Biology with Master. EQF Level 7 (MECES 3).
Experience in the next topics will be valued:
- Previous experience in handling electrochemical systems.
- Experience in cultivation of microorganisms
- Experience in experimentation related to water treatment and/or membrane technologies.
Candidates must submit the following documentation:
- Curriculum Vitae (in Spanish or English).
- Cover letter (in Spanish or English) from the candidate presenting his candidacy and merits and including his personal motivation
- All the documentation they deem appropriate to prove their experience in the profile of the position.
- Curriculum vitae
- Suitability of the profile to the job position
- Proven knowledge of English
- Those candidates with the highest score may be called for an online interview to evaluate their knowledge and attitudes related to the open position.
Durration: Indefinite (until the end of the project planned for December 2024) according to article 23 bis of Law 14/2011, of 1 June, on Science, Technology and Innovation.
Employment contract full-time: 37.5 hours/week
Annual gross salary: 21.000 €
Aproximate incorporation date: January, 2023.
IMDEA Water Foundation. Avda. Punto Com nº 2 - 28805 Alcalá de Henares, Madrid
- Cover letter (pdf)
- Other documents
Final decisions will be personally communicated by e-mail to all candidates